Wednesday, March 10, 2010

West Side Story.... a review by cloé


T
he famous american musical who deals with two feuding gangs of Manhattan: the Jets and the Sharks. In spite of this, Tony of the Jets and Maria of the Sharks fall in love!








"West Side Story" is "Romeo and Juliet" 's new and modern story. The plot is the same. I like these love stories but I don't want that the lovers die.
I appreciate this film especially when they sing together. For instance when the Sharks and their girlsfriends tells about America. But when for example Tony sing alone his love for Maria; I find it bored!
A few sentences or characters' attitudes make me funny!
I think this movie interesting for its amazing songs and dances!









I
have been surprised at the end because I have believed that Maria will die like in "Romeo and Juliet" but she just leave, desperate!
There is a tragical quiproquo/comedy of errors/misunderstanding too.
The Prince in "Romeo and Juliet" is representing by the policeman in "West Side Story", but he is not neutral, he is in favour of the Jets!
Romeo=Tony
Juliet=Maria
I recommand the Shakespeare's novel but if you do not want to read there is "Romeo+Juliet" by Baz Luhrmann, a modern story of "Romeo and Juliet". It takes place in USA in 20th century with a beautiful Claire Danes and a wonderful Leonardo DiCaprio. But the characters speak with the true dialogues of "Romeo and Juliet" so it is sometimes weird!


No comments:

Post a Comment